The 1927 film “The Jazz Singer” starring Al Jolson is coming to Blu-ray Disc on January 8th, 2013 via Warner Home Video. For those who don’t know, this was the first full-length “talkie” (film with audible dialogue). The release will come in the form of a “DigiBook” which is 88 pages in length and includes photos, the film’s history and more. Tech specs for the release have not yet been detailed but stay tuned. The title is available for PRE-ORDER over at Amazon with a $25.19 price tag. Below you’ll find a list of bonus materials set to be included on the release.
- Audio commentary by film historians Ron Hutchinson (founder of The Vitaphone Project) and Vince Giordano
- Collection of vintage cartoons and shorts:
– Al Jolson in A Plantation Act
– An Intimate Dinner in Celebration of Warner Bros. Silver Jubilee
– I Love to Singa
– Hollywood Handicap and A Day at Santa Anita
The 1947 Lux Radio Theater Broadcast starring Al Jolson Feature-length The Dawn of Sound: How Movies Learned to Talk documentary